Nigeria’s Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire has announced the confirmation of five new cases of Corona virus in the country, bringing to eight cases of the dreaded virus.
This is just as Federal government announced travel restrictions to 13 countries, and suspension of visa on arrival to Nigeria.
Out of the five new cases, four was reported to have been discovered in Lagos while one was discovered in Ekiti State.
However, sources close to health officials in Ekiti State disclosed to Gavel International that the case was not corona virus. “The patient in Ekiti is an American and he is dead. An autopsy had been conducted on him and he tested negative to corona virus”, the source said.
Dr Ehanire in a twitter message an hour ago said: “I regret to announce the confirmation of 5 new #COVID19 cases in #Nigeria bringing the total no. of confirmed cases to 8 We have intensified contact tracing for these cases to control the risk of spread and @NCDCGov is already supporting the response efforts;
Secretary to the Federal Government, Mr Boss Mustapha said in a press conference on Wednesday that government has issued a travel ban on 13 countries over the spread of the Coronavirus.
“The Government of Nigeria is restricting entry into the country for travelers from China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Japan, France, Germany, the United States of America, Norway, the United Kingdom, Netherlands & Switzerland. These are all countries with over 1,000 cases domestically”, he said.
The Federal Government is temporarily suspending all visas issued to nationals from these countries. Nigerians arriving from these countries will be subjected to supervised isolation for 14 days.
The Government is also advising all Nigerians to avoid travel to these countries. These restrictions will come into effect from Friday 20 March 2020, for 4 weeks, subject to review.