It seems there will be plenty of people ready to board once Carnival Cruise Lines hits the open sea in August.
The company announced last week that it would begin phasing back into action, with cruises starting Aug. 1. It plans to release eight ships leaving from Port Canaveral and Miami in Florida and Galveston, Texas.
“We are committed to supporting all public health efforts to manage the COVID-19 situation,” a news release from the cruise line said.
“We are taking a measured approach, focusing our return to service on a select number of home ports where we have more significant operations that are easily accessible by car for the majority of our guests.”
On the day of the announcement, bookings spiked 600 per cent compared to the same time last year, Cruise Planners told WESH-TV.
Those making bookings, a Cruise Planners representative told Fast Company, have generally been younger and healthy, and therefore “not a bit concerned about travelling at this time.”
Many are feeling the urge to travel because of the lockdowns, and simply can’t say no to booking a cruise for as little as $28 a night with Carnival Cruise Lines, the publication adds.
Cruise ship travel has been significantly impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.
[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]
Since earlier this year, hundreds of people have been stuck on cruise ships around the world for extended periods of time as cases of COVID-19 spread like wildfire through the ships.
A man from Lethbridge, Alta., for example, has been stuck on a ship with more than 50 other Canadians since March 14.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced a no-sail order in mid-March and later extended it into April.