By Femi Falana SAN
On February 3, 2026, seventy eight Muslims, who refused to surrender to a gang of extremists preaching a strange Islamic doctrine, were massacred by terrorists during a violent attack on Woro and neighbouring communities in Kaiama, Kwara State . The attackers burned down shops and homes during the raid. The attack was one of several across Nigeria in the last few days.
In responding to the brutal killing of the 78 citizens by the terrorists, President Bola Tinubu has ordered that a battalion of the Nigerian army be deployed to stop the incessant abductions and killings in the state. The Inspector-General of Police, Dr. Kayode Egbetokun has equally ordered the immediate deployment of tactical, operational, and intelligence assets to Kaiama and surrounding communities to restore calm, strengthen security presence, and prevent further attacks.
Having closely monitored the worsening security situation in Kwara State, we wish to state that the authorities have consistently deployed military and paramilitary personnel in Kwara State in the past two years. In addition to the 22 Armoured Brigades, Sobi Barracks stationed in Ilorin, Kwara State, deployment of security forces has taken place in the following instances.
* February 6, 2023
Security: Army deploys Troops to Kwara State – Voice of Nigeria Broadcasting Service https://share.google/yQZayv0gzIwGSCfTz
*. 10th Aug, 2025
FG Deploys Five Fighter Jets, Police After Bandits Attack Forces 3,000 to Flee Kwara Communities – Arise News https://share.google/9rdD38yUx45WWU1b9
*. August 10, 2025
Banditry Police deploy tracking teams to Kwara community – Tribune Online https://share.google/lb35AFe2ZVtYwLW5j
*. October 9, 2025
Nigerian Army deploys troops to tackle kidnappers hiding in Kwara forests https://share.google/AcmWFoc0KWB9R0N5s
*. November 19, 2025
Insecurity: Kwara State Govt commends President for deployment of new troops – Federal Ministry of Information and National Orientation https://share.google/j80R0SO2x1wUos87G
*. December 20, 2025
Kwara Yuletide Security: NSCDC Deploys 2,380 Officers https://share.google/bQJzcC96poLBRlNIp
*. 28th Dec, 2025
Governor AbdulRazaq Deploys 1,000 Forest Guards In Kwara – Arise News https://share.google/uTguB98UnqKTUisUY
*. January 12, 2026
Army Establishes New Bases In Patigi And Ilemona To Flush Out Bandits | Ilorin, Kwara News https://share.google/MJBebMaJZARaMTxRV
In spite of the apparent militarisation of the State, the terrorists have been killing and abducting scores of citizens without any serious challenge. The head of Woro village in Kwara State, Umar Salihu, has said that the terrorists attacked his community last week for nearly 10 hours before security forces arrived.
Speaking during an interview on ARISE News, last Friday, Salihu said distress calls to the authorities were made shortly after the attack began about 5p.m., but soldiers only arrived about 3a.m., the following morning. He claimed that sensitive intelligence may have been compromised, as he had reported a threat letter to security agencies.
According to the village head, the community had been left vulnerable after soldiers previously stationed there were withdrawn following an earlier attack.He said that “We had about 15 soldiers there. About three to five months ago, they attacked the soldiers. Since then, they evacuated them. We have no security presence in that area.”
The Governor and the military authorities should investigate the grave allegation of security breach that led to the terrorist attack and the brutal killing of 78 people. It is a sad reminder of the withdrawal of troops before the kidnap of school children in Kebbi State last year.
As a matter of urgency, Governor Abdulrazak should establish a security agency with well equipped, trained and motivated young men and women to defend the people of the Kwara State. It is common knowledge that in the neighbouring south west states the fight against terrorists, armed herders and kidnappers has been greatly complemented trby the Amotekun security corps established by the state governments.
Femi Falana SAN, is the Chair, Alliance on Surviving Covid 19 and Beyond (ASCAB)
February 9, 2026.
Dear readers, we really need your support to keep on serving you with authoritative, truthful, and juicy stories everyday. For your support, please reach out to the editor @gavelinternational66@gmail.com
